Santa Clarita, CA – When it comes to orthodontic treatment, there are more options than ever before to get the smile of your dreams. Choosing the right treatment option for you and the right provider to complete the treatment can be overwhelming. But with a little bit of research before you head into your first orthodontic consultation, you can feel better informed to make the best decision for you or your child.
At Salmassian Orthodontics, we treat patients of all ages, and we work hard to help ensure that our patients and their families are well-educated on their options and the progression of their treatment. Here are some tips to help you go into your orthodontic consultation ready.
- Be sure the provider you are seeing is an orthodontist, and better yet, a board certified orthodontist. Today, we are seeing more and more dentists offering orthodontic treatment in their offices. It may seem convenient to not have to add another office to your schedule, but only a trained orthodontist has the extensive knowledge and experience to create a beautiful and properly functioning smile. After graduating from dental school, orthodontists go on to spend several more years studying the intricacies involved in moving the teeth, and only after completing this additional specialty can a dentist be called an orthodontist. A board certified orthodontist goes one step further. Board certification is achieved by only about 25% of orthodontists in the U.S. and shows a commitment to the highest levels of patient care. A board certified orthodontist will have demonstrated their mastery of the orthodontics field, and you can rest easy knowing you are in the hands of someone dedicated to excellence.
- There are a lot of treatment options available today. Gone are the days when metal braces were the only option. While still frequently used, metal braces are not the only way to get that straight smile. Clear braces, self-ligating braces, Invisalign and lingual braces can also be used. It can be helpful to research the different types of braces so when your orthodontist discusses them, you’ll have an idea of what the differences are.
- Know that not every treatment option may be ideal for your situation. While it is important to know the different treatment options available, it is also important to listen to the advice of the orthodontist. Chances are, he or she will have had years of experience handling situations just like yours, and will know the best treatment option to help you achieve your smile goals. You may have your heart set on Invisalign, but your orthodontist may recommend a different treatment option in order to achieve the best results. Go in knowledgeable, but with an open mind.
- Get an idea of the average cost of braces in your area. It can be helpful to have an idea of what your financial commitment may look like. While the cost of braces varies based on the type of braces chosen, the severity of the case, as well the need for any additional appliances, having a broad view of what the cost will be will help you avoid sticker shock. Most orthodontic offices offer payment plans, and will work with you to find a plan that will fit comfortably in your family’s budget.
- Know that every orthodontic case is different. We create customized treatment plans designed to fit your individual needs, and your treatment will be centered around your specific orthodontic issue. It is important to know that no two malocclusions are the same, and no two people will respond to treatment exactly the same. Your best friend may have been able to complete treatment in 18 months, but your orthodontist may see your case taking at least 24 months. That is normal and is based on your individual case alone. You can never compare treatment times with others because each smile is different.
At Salmassian Orthodontics, the initial consultation is always complimentary. To schedule your appointment, call 661-222-7444.