Santa Clarita, CA – Did you know that today, nearly one in five orthodontic patients is an adult? If you are looking at orthodontic treatment to perfect your smile, there are some things you should know first. Here, we’ve compiled a list of the top ten things adults should know about orthodontics.
- You can straighten your smile at any age. It is never too late to get a beautifully straight and properly functioning smile. In fact, today nearly one in five orthodontic patients is an adult, and we see more and more adults coming into our office to reap the benefits orthodontics can provide.
- Orthodontics is about more than just cosmetics. A straighter smile is easier to keep clean, which means it will be easier to keep cavities and gum disease at bay. And, a properly functioning bite will ensure the correct amount of pressure is being applied when you bite down, lessening your risks of chipping, cracking or breaking teeth.
- That pain in your head, neck or shoulder could be associated with a bad bite. Uneven pressure placed when you bite can lead to a host of problems you might not even realize are associated with your smile. If you experience jaw, neck, head or ear pain frequently, it could be a symptom of a bad bite.
- There are more options than ever before to get your best functioning smile. Today, the options for treatment go far beyond the standard metal braces of yesterday. Orthodontic technology is high tech, and can create the most beautiful smiles in less time and with less discomfort than ever before.
- There are a host of cosmetically pleasing options. From lingual braces that fit behind the teeth, to clear and ceramic options, to Invisalign there are more aesthetically pleasing ways to straighten your teeth. If you want to get the smile of your dreams without anyone being the wiser, talk to your orthodontist about Invisalign clear aligner treatment, or ask what other cosmetic options are available.
- You may need surgery as an adult undergoing orthodontic treatment. The reason why we see so many adolescents in braces is because moving teeth is easier when we are younger. Younger patients have the benefit of a jaw that is still growing, which the orthodontist can guide to allow for the ideal smile. As an adult, you won’t have that benefit, and in cases of severe crowding and a jaw that has grown improperly, jaw surgery may be required.
- Orthodontic treatment is affordable. If you look at the cost of orthodontic treatment over time, it is one of the few things that has stayed relatively the same. Most dental plans will cover at least part of orthodontic treatment, and many orthodontists offer payment plans, and even financing with low to no interest.
- Opt for a board certified orthodontist. Only about 25% of orthodontists practicing in the U.S. today are board certified, but this certification signifies a commitment to excellence. When looking for an orthodontist, choose one who is board certified and you’ll know you are in excellent hands.
- You will need a retainer. If you want to ensure your beautiful new smile lasts, you will need to wear a retainer after the braces are finished. Many adults that we treat actually had braces as a child, but skipped wearing their retainers, only to find their teeth shifted back. Follow your orthodontist’s instructions on retainer wear.
- Orthodontic treatment is worth it! Not only will your smile be healthier, you’ll notice your self-confidence increases, too. Our smiles are the first thing others see, and orthodontic treatment can ensure you are putting your best smile forward.
If you are interested in learning more about how orthodontic treatment may benefit you, call our office today at 661-888-4506.