If you’ve been hiding your smile because it’s crooked, misaligned, or filled with spaces, you may be doing yourself a disservice. According to researchers, smiling makes us happier which in turn makes us healthier. Research also shows that people who smile more tend to be friendlier, easier to approach, and more successful in their lives and careers.
Let’s take a look at other interesting things research has shown us about smiling:
- Smiling triggers your brain’s reward mechanisms. When you smile, your body releases serotonin, the powerful chemical make-up that boosts our mood. Researchers believe that smiling can give us more pleasure than even chocolate can.
- The endorphins released while smiling start a “positivity spiral” – your smile lets your brain know you are happy, and your brain tells you to smile even more.
- Smiling can lower anxiety, blood pressure and heart rates. Endorphins act as a natural pain-killer – the more your body releases, the more your body can fight off illness.
- Do you feel happier around children? That could be because children smile much more than adults do. The average child smiles 400 times a day, while the happiest adult may only smile 50 times a day.
- Smiling spreads. When you see someone smile, it triggers your brain’s mirror neurons to smile, too. Research continues to show that even if you are grumpy, when you come into contact with a genuine smile, it can boost your mood and make you want to smile too.
I see many patients who hide their smiles because they don’t like the way it looks. It is amazing to see how much their lives improve once their smile is restored and how much it increases their self-confidence and self-worth.
Whether you are 15 or 50, orthodontic treatment can help give you the smile of your dreams, and help you reap the benefits that come along with smiling regularly. So what are you waiting for? Call my office today at 661-222-7444 and you’ll be on the road to a happier, healthier life in no time!
Dr. Reza Salmassian is a Board Certified Orthodontist and specializes in orthodontics for Children and Adults. For any questions regarding this article or to schedule your complimentary orthodontic evaluation, please contact us at 661-222-7444 or visit us at www.salmassianortho.com